Ramdisk full errors
These days I had a problem with full ESXi ramdisk. Running
vdf -h shows
tmp as 100% used. Furthermore there are a lot of errors in
VisorFSRam: 233: Cannot extend visorfs file /var/lib/vmware/hostd/journal/ because its ramdisk (root) is full.
There are some other problems these hosts suffer from time to time:
- vSphere HA issus like master of cluster cannot be found/elected.
- Connection problems with vCenter.
Hosts are ProLiant DL380 Gen8 servers running current ESXi 6.5 U2 image. After some troubleshooting I found out:
/tmp/ql_ima.logconsumed nearly all the space in tmp-partition.
- Some QLogic software logs into this file.
ql_ima.logis locked by process
ql_ima.logentries are about a
libqima4xxxmodule. A component can be found in
Very strange fact about this findings is that there is no QLogic hardware running in this host! So there should be two ways to solve the problem: Update or uninstall appropriate driver. I decided to remove the unnecessary software. I searched for driver by running:
esxcli software vib list | grep -i ima
ima-qla4xxx; version: 500.2.01.31-1vmw.0.3.040121. To remove it, I run:
esxcli software vib remove -n ima-qla4xxx
After a reboot:
- temp-partition uses less than 200kb.
- To remove a VIB and use Update Manager to patch a host without rebooting does not work. After remove a driver, Update Manager scan shows all patches of the current version (6.5) as missing.
- When your host suffers this issue, try to restart management agents. Without it could happens your host does not even reboot gracefully because of full ramdisk.